Utility Locator/Underground Fiber Optics TechnicianApply Now
Job Type: Full-time, hourly.
Hours: M-F 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The Utility Locator/Underground Fiber Optics Technician position is responsible for accurately locating network facilities and services utilizing electronic locating equipment; being readily available when network facilities are in excavation areas; expose network facilities as necessary; light equipment and vehicle maintenance; facility and property maintenance; central office (CO) maintenance (including, but not limited to cleaning floors, changing rugs and air filters); other duties as required.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Ability to work on-call hours if business needs require.
- Telecommunications-related experience.
- Good organization and communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize workload.
- Customer oriented and driven to exceed customer expectations.
- Must have respect for internal and external customers.
- Responsible and trustworthy.
- Ability to practice and follow company safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to work various hours, shifts, or overtime as business needs require.
- Ability to work in an outside environment year-round.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Mechanical aptitude, with prior experience and ability to use common tools.
- Available to work flexible hours, including on call 24/7.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record; Possession of CDL-A, or ability to obtain CDL-A.
- Applicant must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check and pre-employment drug screen.
- Prior telecommunications experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in extreme weather conditions year-round is a must.
- Ability to work in an union environment, work various hours and different shifts.
- Must be customer service oriented and driven to provide quality service.
- Must possess a mechanical aptitude, with the ability to use common tools.
- Ability to understand and follow directions as given
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have core values: respect for others, be responsible and trustworthy.
- Ability to follow safety procedures at all times.
- Self-starter, with the ability to prioritize workload.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Must be able to walk on all types of terrain (e.g. grass, ditches, gravel, etc.) in and around residential and rural areas.
- Ability to bend at waist, sit, kneel, climb, walk and/or stand for duration of work shift (typically 8 hours).
About South Slope Cooperative
South Slope Cooperative Communications provides ridiculously reliable internet, phone and television service to homes and businesses. We are committed to providing an exceptional customer experience and giving back to the communities we serve.
South Slope offers an impressive benefits package, including:
- Competitive salary
- Company-funded pension plan and 401K plan
- Health, dental, short- and long-term disability
- PTO, paid holidays and paid birthday leave
- Monthly internet allowance
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please complete our Career Application.
South Slope is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment on the basis of race, color, sex, pregnancy, religion, national origin, age, disability military/ veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected category in compliance with local, state and federal law.