Guide to Popular Streaming Services
With so many streaming services and new ones popping up every day, it can be hard to decide what’s best for you. Don’t worry…we’re here to help with a guide to the most popular streaming services.
- Amazon Prime Video: Did you know that if you have an Amazon Prime subscription, you also get access to Amazon Prime Video? This platform allows you to watch originals, series and well-known movies, while also having the option to rent or purchase others. Get started here.
- Apple TV: What do Defending Jacob, The Morning Show and Greyhound all have in common? They can each be found on AppleTV+! This ad-free subscription streaming service is only a year old, but big stars like Tom Hanks, Jennifer Aniston and Chris Evans are featured on their original films and series. Start watching for $4.99/month.
- CBS All Access: Catch your favorite live sports, shows and news with your local CBS station on CBS All Access! If you love space, they have multiple spinoffs of Star Trek, on top of other original series and shows from platforms like Nickelodeon, MTV and Comedy Central. Plans start at $5.99/month.
- Discovery+: The new kid on the block is Discovery+, and they have a lot to offer. Watch Discovery’s iconic brands at the click of a button, including HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Animal Planet and Discovery Channel! Plans start at $4.99/month.
- Disney+: Even though it’s only in year two, Disney+ has become a main contender in the streaming world, especially for families. Popular series like the Marvel movies, the Star Wars saga and The Simpsons are housed here, on top of every Disney original you can think of. Plans start at $6.99/month.
- HBO Max: If you want to watch blockbuster movies from home, this service is for you. Big films will be released on HBO Max throughout 2021 on the same day they are released in theaters! South Slope TV customers who subscribe to HBO with their TV service have access to HBO Max for no additional charge! Visit southslope.com/hbomax for more details. On its own, HBO Max is $14.99/month.
- Hulu: If you want a mix of live TV and on-demand selections, Hulu is perfect for you! Hulu + Live TV offers real-time TV options and an expansive on-demand library including originals like Little Fires Everywhere! If you’re looking for a cheaper option without the live aspect, they have packages for that as well. Plans vary between $5.99 and $64.99/month. Check out the options on their website.
- Netflix: Looking for popular originals? You have come to the right place! Stranger Things, The Crown, Black Mirror, Cobra Kai and more blew up in fame thanks to Netflix. You can create up to five different profiles on a single account to allow each family member access to their favorites. View plans here.
- Peacock: NBC recently joined the streaming party with Peacock. Instantly watch thousands of hours of movies and TV shows—plus sports, news, and pop culture—for free. You can find shows like Friday Night Lights, 30 Rock, and The Office. If you prefer to skip the commercials and receive more streaming content, you can upgrade for $9.99. View their plans here.
- YouTube TV: This platform is based on a live TV option similar to cable providers. YouTube TV has a lineup of 85+ channels, nearly unlimited DVR space, three simultaneous streams and more. You can also add your favorite movie and sports channels. Get YouTube TV for $64.99 per month.
With so many options, it may be hard to choose. If you’re still stuck, many of these platforms offer free trials! You can also check out free streaming services like Crackle, Pluto TV and Tubi. Happy streaming!