Local Information During COVID-19
With how fast our world is changing, it can be overwhelming. We’re sharing tips and resources to help you and area businesses during this challenging time. Remember to keep updated on the latest CDC guidelines, stay positive and be safe! For the latest on our prevention efforts, visit southslope.com/coronavirus.
How to Support Local
- Call or visit your favorite local store’s website to buy a gift card.
- Order delivery or pickup from a local restaurant (view latest list of restaurants compiled by KCRG and Think Iowa City).
- If your finances allow, continue paying memberships to gyms and studios.
- Check if a local business offers online options such as dance classes, gym workouts and tutoring.
- Donate to your favorite local group or nonprofit.
- Venmo a tip to your stylist, photographer or server to show your support.
- Find more great ways to support local on the following Facebook pages:
Pantries Serving, Schools Helping Students
If you or someone you know needs help with food resources during this difficult time, please reach out to your local pantry. Some schools are also offering lunches to students. If you are lucky enough to have full shelves at home, consider donating to these amazing organizations so they can help out those in need.
- Coralville Community Food Pantry
- North Liberty Community Pantry
- Solon Community Pantry
- Cedar Rapids Pantries and Free Meal Programs
Student Lunch Information
- Benton Community School District
- Clear Creek Amana School District
- College Community School District
- Iowa City Community School District
- Solon Community School District
Activities for Children at Home
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Pre-K through 9th grade
- Virtual Museum Tours
- Khan Academy Student Schedules: Pre-K through 12th grade
- Crash Course educational videos: High school
- Nova Labs PBS: Science for teens
- NASA Kennedy Space Center Facebook Live Videos
- Mo Willems “Lunch Doodles”
- Story Time from Space
- BrainPop: Education for small children
- Learn a new language: DuoLingo
- Check out some TED Talks
- North Liberty Library Resources
Updated Grocery Store Hours
Fareway: Designated hours for those at high risk, adjusted hours.
HyVee: Adjusted hours, pick-up, delivery.
Target: Designated hours for those at high risk, adjusted hours, pick-up.
Walgreens: Designated hours for those at high risk, adjusted hours.
Walmart: Adjusted hours, pick-up.
Play From Home
Play and stream from home with these applications below.
- Netflix. The first is still one of the most popular. Netflix provides movies and TV series to stream, with content varying over time. Netflix is also known for its original content, including popular shows like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Stranger Things. Netflix costs between $8.99-$15.99 per month.
- Hulu. Hulu focuses on the latest broadcast television episodes, as well as their own original content. Hulu costs between $5.99-$12.99 per month. Hulu also offers a service that lets you stream about 60 channels of live TV, and costs $54.99 per month.
- YouTube TV. As long as we’re talking about live TV… YouTube offers one of the most comprehensive streaming services for live television. It offers more than 70 channels of content, including local channels that vary depending on your location. YouTube TV costs $49.99 per month.
- Amazon Prime Video. Like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video offers movies and TV shows, as well as some original content. The service comes free for users who already have Amazon Prime, or $8.99 per month if you just want the video service.
- Disney+. Disney+ is your home to princesses, superheros, nature, sports and more. This service starts at just $6.99 a month.